Some people feel that the French manicure is an outdated way to style your nails. But many still consider it to be aВ timeless way to finish off your image. В Your nails will be smart, pretty, clean and suitable for all occasions.В В
Whenever you plan to paint your nails, it is always best to schedule some time away when you know you will be undisturbed. В YouВ want to ensure that the experience is enjoyable and stress-free, so allow at least an hour. В Below is a list of essentials you will need to gather together prior to beginning your manicure:
What You'll Need
вЂў Small bowl of warm water
вЂў Emery board
вЂў Nail polish remover В (Non-acetone if you have false nails)
вЂў Cuticle tool
вЂў Cuticle remover cream
вЂў Moisturizer/hand lotion
вЂў Kitchen towel
вЂў Cotton balls or pads
вЂў French manicure pack (available from most drug stores)В
вЂў French manicure color kit
вЂў Clear top coat polish
вЂў Hand towel to roll up and place under your wrists whilst painting
вЂў 2 small plastic bags
At-Home French Manicure Technique
1. Remove jewelry and wipe off all traces of nail polish, using cotton balls or pads. В Remember acetone will dry nails out significantly. В Non-acetone is kinder but takes longer to remove stubborn or bold polish (non-acetone is essential for fake nails, otherwiseВ they will dissolve.)
2. File or cut back nails to required shape. В When filing, remember to do this in one direction only, not in a back andВ forth motion. В Nail shape is an entirely personal thing. Square are a lot more popular now, however oval still has itsВ place.
3. Apply cuticle remover and soak hands in a bowl of water to soften the cuticles. В It is best to give a good 5 minuteВ soak. В *If your hands are exceptionally dry then you could place them in plastic bags for a further 5 minutes. В This willВ encourage the cuticles to soften even more and your hands to feel less rough.
4. Dry off hands and nails with a kitchen towel to avoid lint or threads from regular towels.
5. With the cuticle tool, very gently encourage cuticles back towards base of nail. В Do not snip away extraneous skinВ with scissors unless you are sure it is dead otherwise you will cause damage to the cuticle.
6. The opposite end of cuticle tool can be used to remove debris from the underside of the nail.
7. Apply moisturizer or hand lotion and massage your hands and the lower part of your arms. В It improves circulationВ and is very relaxing. В Before painting the nails, take one of the Q-Tips and dip it in the polish remover. В Wipe just the surface of the nail. IfВ you do not the moisturizer may still be present on the nail and will prevent the polish from adhering successfully.
8. Apply the base coat to the nail beginning with one stroke down the center of the nail and then one from the left andВ right-hand sides. В Make sure all coats of polish are thin. В The temptation is to start with a thick coat to get it downВ quicker but it will be gloopy and not dry properly.
9. A tip to encourage nail polish to dry quicker is, approximately 1-2 minutes after applying the polish to the lastВ nail run your hands and nails under cold water.В
10. Your French manicure pack should contain guide strips so that you can get a good distinction of color on the nailВ tip.
11. Once your base coat is thoroughly dry apply a guide strip below the naturally white section at the end of the nail. В You are aiming for a nice, clean white arc. В The size of the arc is really dependent on personal preference; however, if youВ have particularly short nails (or small nail beds) it is best to only have a very small white tip otherwise it will lookВ unbalanced and give your fingers the appearance of being short. The same applies in reverse if your nail bed is large, aВ shorter tip will not balance out.
12. Paint the white tip in the same direction as the base coat rather than horizontally. Start mid-way over the guideВ strip and come down off the end of the nail with each stroke.
13. Wait for this coat to dry before removing the guides. В
14. If there is any residue left from the guide strips it is possible to remove this (once all polish is completely dry)В by dipping one of the Q-Tips in pure alcohol and lightly brushing it over the surface of the nail. В
15. To prevent chipping seal the whole thing with the clear top coat. В Your manicure is now complete and ready to beВ admired.В